Friday, May 4, 2012

Scrap That! Kit Club & The Color Room Special Edition Palette!!

Here is my 3rd layout that I made for the Scrap That May Anniversary kit.  As I mentioned in my post a couple of days ago, this kit had a really fun crafting item in it....some polymer clay.  Since I've already shared a clay tile tutorial here at my blog, as well as an embellishment tutorial (see right side of blog) I thought I would do something a little bit different.  I decided to use the piece of clay to make a bloom embellishment. (see below).  The kit also came with a Special Edition Palette and Sketch from our favourite color site 'The Color Room!!"  Here below is the palette as well as the sketch....and of course my l/o above was my take on this Palette & Sketch. 
Here are a few close-ups of my page.   I found the perfect quote for my page on Pinterest!  Have I said how much I love that site....I'm sooo addicted! (you can check out my pins by clicking the Pinterest badge on the right side of this blog)  The journaling on my page reads...
"If I could give you
one thing in life,
I would give you
the ability
to see yourself
through my eyes,
only then would you
realize how
special you are
to me." 

And here is a little picture tutorial on the Gardenia bloom I made for this page from Polymer Clay... 
Step 1: Soften clay by kneading it in the palm of your hand for a few seconds. Make 3 small stamen's for the center of your blooms.
Step: 2: Put the 3 stamen pieces together and set aside.

Step 3: Divide the rest of your ball of clay into 6 pieces

Step 4: Take one of your clay balls and create a triangular petal. The shape does not have to be perfect, a rough, uneven edge is just fine (even preferred!). (Make 6 of these)
Step 5: Pinch the bottom of the triangle to create a little pleat and lightly ruffle the top edge of the petal.

Step 6: Attach 3 of the six petals evenly around the stamen you made. Then attach the other 3 behind the other three offsetting them from the other petals.
Step 7: You will be left with a clump of extra clay behind the bloom you made. Clip this off with a pair of scissors. (Note: you can use the left over bit of clay to make 3 leaves for behind your bloom, or you can use the leaves included in the kit for behind your flower)
 
Now You will bake your clay piece in a 270 degree Fahrenheit oven for 15 minutes. (I like to use a disposable foil tray to bake my Polymer clay since clay is toxic and should not be used on appliances you normally cook/bake with. 
Step 8: When you pull your clay piece from the oven it may still feel slightly flexible but it will harden as it cools. Now you can paint your piece to your liking....or you can do as I did here and use some Perfect Pearls or Pearlex (mica powder) to tint up your piece. Just take a paint brush and start from the center of your bloom, dust the pearl powder outwards so that it fades out. I used a pink color for the petals and a yellow/inca gold for the stamens. I used regular green acrylic craft paint for the leaves. (Give your piece a light spray of sealant to protect the finish.....or you can do as I did and use a light spritz of hair spray to protect the piece).
 
Now you can use your finished piece on your layout or home decor project. Here is a close-up of the piece on my layout. 
Hope you give this a try! Note: You can use any type of Polymer clay for this project, Sculpey, Fimo or even your craft store name brand, I've tried them all and they work equally well.  For more idea's from the Scrap That design team and a place to share your own creations be sure to check out Scrap That's Polymer Clay Challenge this month! HERE  ...Thanks for stopping by!!

23 comments:

Marilyn said...

Wow, this is Sooo Beautiful, Gabi!
love your clay flower and the tuto is fantastic, I'll try later!
Gorgeous work as always! :)

Scraps of Elegance said...

The clay flower looks so delicate, just like porcelain. You've got a keen eye for details Gabi.

Carole Wright said...

Hi Gabby, this is truly gorjuss. Love all the details and colours.

Rachael Elliott said...

Great tutorial, your flower is amazing! Stunning page too xx

Vintage Street Designs said...

Just discovered you on Pinterest. You have a beautiful blog, very creative. ~ Judy http://addicted2homedecor.blogspot.com

Caryn S said...

Beautiful! Thanks for posting the tutorial.

Romy said...

Oh my, this is such a breathtaking layout! I can hardly believe you made that flower yourself: it looks almost real! Just gorgeous work - once again:)

Sandi Clarkson said...

What a gorgeous and also touching page, Gabi .. love the sketch I see in the making LOL Wonderful tutee .. I plan to try some of these!

jaclee said...

what a beautiful flower and layout! thank you for the tutorial. Love your blog....it is so inspirational.

Kathy said...

beautiful and inspiring. Very clear tutorial. thank-you!

Patty O'Malley said...

Gorgeous page! Love the position of the photo and the clay flower.

Cindy Gay said...

She is so pretty. I love your sewn pieces in the background. Such a lovely page.

Karen Shady said...

your LO is STUNNING... and a huge thank you for sharing this wonderful tutorial with us xx

EFI said...

Hello Gabrielle! Your work is always absolutely adorable!!!! Thank you so much for the tutorial! Yous handmade flowers are gorgeous!!! Happy national scrapbooking day!

LISA said...

My daughter was teaching me how to make fondant flowers for cakes. Thats what your gorgeous flower looks like. I will have to try this with Fimo!! Thanks for the tutorial!

Eila Sandberg said...

My goodness Gabi! the flower is such a beautiful accent on your gorgeous page, absolutely divine! thanks so very much for the tut, definitely have to try this one. Hope you're have a really wonderful weekend sweetie! xoxo

Colleen Dietrich said...

Your blog is so beautiful! And that handcreated flower: magnificent!

Bonnie aka Cinnabon said...

Beautiful layout, Gabi, and your clay flower is gorgeous!

Love crafts forever said...

Beautiful L/O and awesome tutorial. Finally last Sunday i got Clay baking Oven, so i can try some. I used to make beads, but don't like to use my coking oven. Your work amazing as always.
Hugs Nataliya

~Etoile~ said...

Gorgeoussss, real treats for the eyes, love your flower, thanks for sharing.

shamraiz said...

Oh wow! Thank you so much. After a busy day I thought I would sit down and with a nice cup of tea and have a browse through my reading list... What a lovely end to the day! Your layout is amazing. The frame looks incredible! Thank you again. I will email you my details shortly and awesome tutorial :-)
Regards,
Sam............

Business Gift Cards
Gift Card

Printing

scratch card

Kim said...

Absolutely gorgeous layout! I am going to have to try my hand at those clay flowers! : )

Alexandra said...

So delicate! I love your work! The twigs are awesome idea, I already make LO with them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails