Monday, July 5, 2010

Tutorial, Making Ruffled Blooms (Mum Style)

Last year I shared a flower tutorial with you using a spiral cut design ~~> HERE ....this is a kind of twist on this flower design. By using a pair of scallop edge decorative scissors (these can be found inexpensively at your local craft store), you can create a flower that resembles a ruffled Mum bloom.

Step 1
Begin by cutting out a rough circle shape from your cardstock/patterned paper or try what I used here, some paper torn from an old book (I picked up an old book at a thrift shop for .25 cents and it's gone a long way in providing me with weathered newsprint type paper for my projects) As you can tell you don't have to be too fussy in cutting the circle shape, mine clearly isn't a perfect round.


Step 2
Using a pair of scallop edge scissors, cut out a spiral design into the circle. I didn't even bother penciling out a spiral design to cut, I just did it free-hand. Just be sure not to cut the spiral too thin because in step 3 you will be cutting into the strip. You can also ink the ruffled edge at this point if you'd like to add another layer of color and dimension to your bloom.


Step 3
Using a plain pair of scissors snip a little cut into the indent of each of the scallops, being careful not to cut too deep (half or 3/4 of the way down is good).


Step 4
Now you can begin rolling up your strip of scallop paper, starting with the edge shown in the above photo.


Step 5
Some people find it easier to use a tweaser to hold the center of the bloom as they wrap the strip around into a circle as shown in the photo above.


Step 6
The middle of the circle design provides a perfect little platform to glue your rolled up paper to. I used some white glue here but you may find using hot glue a better method here as it's a quicker dry method.


Step 7
Now simply just ruffle back the petals with your thumbs to get a cute little ruffled bloom. You can create larger blooms by cutting a larger circle and having a longer spiral to work with. Below is the finished bloom (which I placed inside another cardstock bloom I made using a heart punch (see tutorial I posted just before this one for the steps to create the blue flower).....


You can see the finished page I made using these blooms soon as I have the July MCS reveal posted....hopefully sometime today! :)

Thanks for having a peek!

~Gabrielle xxx

11 comments:

Romy said...

Thank you so so much for your tutorial! These flowers are amazing and I loved reading how you made them.

Camilla said...

Great tutorial! I sure will try this out!:) Thank you!
Hugs, Camilla.

Jolanda said...

oh how great they are!!thank you for showing how to make them!!!
I'm gonna try soon,have a nice day.
Love,Jolanda

sue said...

fabulous flowers love them thanks for sharing x sue x

Unknown said...

Como sempre você arrasou......... Parabéns

Anna said...

I love this and I will for sure try it out and the bigger flower also ! Thanks for sharing.

Michelle said...

Tried them last night for a LO Gabi and they turned out beautifully! Thank you so much for sharing all your wonderfully creative ideas! you are such an inspiration! Michelle

Marla Venette said...

Such a gorgeous flower!! I can't wait to try it, thank you so much for doing this tutorial :-)

Katherine said...

Thanks for the tutorial....I had a go at here

http://fruitofmyscraps.blogspot.com/2010/07/brimham-rocks.html

Kat

Michelef4 said...

I absolutely adore your work. Thank you for all of your gifted ideas & techniques. 💕

Unknown said...

That is Beautiful

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails